Maravich, Peter Biography
biography of Maravich, PeterMaravich, Peter Press
22 June 1947, Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, USA
5 January 1988, Pasadena, California, USA (congenital heart failure)
- 'Jackie Elliser' (11 January 1976 - 5 January 1988) (his death); 2 children
- Established numerous collegiate records when he played at Louisiana State University, 1966-1970.
- Enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1987.
- Played for the National Basketball Association's (NBA) Atlanta Hawks (1970-1971 thru 1973-1974), New Orleans/Utah Jazz (1974-1975 thru 1979-1980), and Boston Celtics (1979-1980 season).
- Professional basketball player.
- At age 39, he was the youngest person ever inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Died of a congenital heart defect in a hospital at 9:42 a.m. after playing a pick-up 3-on-3 game and collapsing in a gym in Pasadena, California. An autopsy later revealed that he had played all those wonderful years of basketball without his left coronary artery. Reportedly, his last words before collapsing were "I feel great!"
- Father: Press. Mother: Helen.
- Two sons: Jaeson and Josh.
- LSU's home court was officially named the Maravich Assembly Center in 1988.
- NBA All-Rookie Team (1971). All-NBA First Team (1976, 1977). All-NBA Second Team (1973, 1978). Five-time NBA All-Star (1973, 1974, 1977-1979). Shares NBA single-game record for most free throws made in one quarter (14) on Nov. 28, 1973 against Buffalo and most free throws attempted in one quarter (16) on Jan. 2, 1973 against Chicago. NBA 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996).
- Three-year letter winner (1967-1970). The Sporting News College Player of the Year (1970). Naismith Award Winner (1970). The Sporting News All-America First Team (1968, 1969, 1970). Three-time AP and UPI First-Team All-America (1968, 1969, 1970). Holds NCAA career record for most points (3,667, 44.2 ppg, three-year career) in 83 games. Holds NCAA career record for highest points per game average (44.2 ppg). Holds NCAA record for most field goals made (1,387) and attempted (3,166). Holds NCAA record for most free throws made (893) and attempted (1,152). Holds NCAA record for most games scoring at least 50 points (28). Holds NCAA single-season record for most points (1,381) and highest per game average (44.5 ppg) in 1970. Holds NCAA single-season record for most field goals made (522) and attempted (1,668) in 1970. Holds NCAA single-season record for most games scoring at least 50 points (10) in 1970. Holds NCAA single-game record for most free throws made (30 of 31) against Oregon State on Dec. 22, 1969.
- Biography in: "The Scribner Encyclopedia of American Lives". Volume Two, 1986-1990, pages 601-603. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1999.
- TV commercials for Vitalis Dry Control hairspray (early 70s)
- Pete Maravich. _The Pistol: The Childhood Story of Pistol Pete Maravich._ Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1996. ISBN 080548342X
- Mike Towle. _Pete Maravich: Magician of the Hardwood._ Nashville, TN: Cumberland House Publishing, 2003. ISBN 1581823746
- Bill Gutman. _Pistol Pete Maravich._ Grosset & Dunlap, 1972.
- Phil Berger. _Forever Showtime: The Checkered Life of Pistol Pete Maravich._ New York: Taylor Trade Publishing, 1999. ISBN 0878332375
- Wayne Federman and Marshall Terrill in collaboration with Jackie Maravich. _Maravich._ Toronto, Canada: SportClassic Books, 2006. ISBN 1894963520
- Mark Kriegel. _Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich._ New York: Free Press, 2007. ISBN 0743284976
- _Pistol Pete: The Life and Times of Pete Maravich (2001) (TV)_ (qv)
- "Sports Illustrated" (USA), 12 November 1973, Vol. 39, Iss. 20
- "Sports Illustrated" (USA), 1 December 1969, Vol. 31, Iss. 23
- "Sports Illustrated" (USA), 4 March 1968, Vol. 28, Iss. 9
Photos of Maravich, Peter
Images Search Powered By Google
Watch Online Related Videos
Maravich, Peter Videos